San Juan, Puerto Rico, March 13th, 2018
- Democratization of the Board of Directors
- To create a Board composed of sectors of diverse interests of society: industrialists, merchants, trade unions, consumers.
- To allow each sector to choose its representatives.
- This is the model that has been successfully implemented by public utilities in the US.
- i.e.: A municipality in San Antonio, Texas, with 2 million inhabitants, has a public power corporation that is owned by the municipality and governed by five individuals, elected by the people every 10 years. The mayor is a member but he doesn’t vote.
- Power transformation
- To lead the transformation of the model towards renewable energies, however kept in public hands in order to prevent the private sector from hijacking renewable energies.
- Changes are necessary; selling is not, because the purpose of a public agency is service, not profit.
- Prepanet and its subsidiaries
- Subsidies and debt
- To demand government to pay its debt with PREPA for power services.
- Most of the reservoirs belong to AEE and they give away water for free to AAA.
- There are no costs for aqueducts, but if we were to fall into private hands, the cost of water would increase the very next day.